- This event has passed.
Heritage Days Festival 2018
July 12, 2018 - July 14, 2018Free
The 31th Annual Heritage Days Festival, Mount Vernon’s biggest summer festival, will take place Thursday, Friday and Saturday, July 12, 13, and 14, in and around Uptown Mount Vernon.
This year’s festivities will include fireworks, old-fashioned carnival games, live performances, bingo, a beer tent, and a “mini-Olympics for kids.”
Schedule of Events
Thursday, July 12th – Kernoustie Golf Cub and Elliott Athletic Complex
- 5:30 -6:00 Mini Olympics registration Kernoustie Golf Club
- 6:00 Mini Olympics Kernoustie Golf Club
- 6:00pm-9:00pm Activities and Family Night at Kernoustie Golf Club – Food, drink, music, children’s entertainment
- 5:30 -8:00 pm Softball Tournament Elliott Athletic Complex
- Dark Fireworks Display by Heritage Days
Friday, July 13th – Uptown Mt. Vernon
- 8:00 AM 3-person Best shot, Kernoustie Golf Club
- 1:00 PM 3-person Best shot, Kernoustie Golf Club
- Noon-12:00am Food Vendors, First Street West – Street vendors with both local and regional favorites.
- 4:00pm-12:00am Beverage Tent
- 4:00-9:00pm Alumni Reception, Now located in the old Fire Station on Main street next to City Hall. Hang out with your classmates uptown and meet fellow alums from many classes. Friends, family, and Community welcome.
- 5:00- 8:00 pm Games and Activities
- 5:30 – 8:00 pm Softball Tournament Elliott Athletic Complex
- 5:45-6:30pm registration
- 6:30pm race time Kids Fun Run, Cornell Football Field; several classes of races for kids 10 & under
- 6:00 – 7:00 Community Band- Memorial Park Gazebo
- 6:30-Midnight Main Street Stage, First Street West
- 6:30- 8:30 pm Mount Vernon Has Talent
- 9:00-12:00 pm Crazy Delicious
- 7:00-8:00 Movie Night at the Pool
Saturday, July 14th – Uptown Mt. Vernon
- 8:00am 5K Run/Walk, Mount Vernon Elementary School – Starting at 8am at MV Elementary School and winding through scenic Mount Vernon. Chip-timed.
One Mission tshirts. Register online in advance on site from 6:30 am–7:45 am.
- 8:00-10:00am Alumni and Community Breakfast – Serving from 8-10am in the High School Commons. All alumni, families, friends, and community welcome. Cost : donation at the door.
- 8:00 am Softball Tournament
- 10:00 am Mount Vernon Middle School and MV School Grounds – Auditorium and Community Center Groundbreaking
- 10:30am – 3:00 Car Show, First street in-front of Memorial Park – Registration 10:30 to 11:00, Award for People’s Choice at 3:15
- 11:00- 3:00 Art in the Park- Memorial Park- 10:00 am Set-up
- 11:00 AM Heritage Days Parade, First Street West – Theme is County Western
Parade starts on First Street West, winds down 5th Avenue North and ends at 7th Street. Line up begins at 10:00 am
- 11:30am-9:00 pm Alumni Reception – Old Fire Station on Main Street. Hang out with your classmates uptown and meet fellow alums from many classes. Friends, family, and Community welcome. Music Intermission with Alumni movie/slideshow
- Noon-12:00am Food Vendors, First Street West – Different street vendors with both local and regional favorites
- Beverage Tent – Noon-midnight
- Main Street Stage, First Street West
- 1:00-1:30 Dance Arts Iowa
- 1:30-2:00 Martial Arts Demonstration by Taegeuk Martial Arts
- 2:00-6:00 MV Wrestling Team – bean bag toss tournament fund raiser
- 6:30 -8:30 Mississippi String Band
- 9:00-12:00 Lonesome Road
- 12:00 to 12:30 Reading of Declaration of Independence by American Legion at the Memorial Park Gazebo
- Noon-8:00pm Carnival games, Main Street in front of the old fire station
- 1:00 Tractor Pedal Pull- Behind Mount Vernon Bank and Trust – Registration begins at 12:30
- 9:00-11:00 Theme Night at the Pool
About Mount Vernon
Historic Mount Vernon, Iowa, is the home to 4500 residents, including 1200 college students enrolled at Cornell College. Located in Eastern Iowa at the intersection of Highways 30 and 1, 20 miles north of Iowa City and 15 miles east of Cedar Rapids, it boasts a vibrant uptown business community with numerous antique and specialty stores, restaurants, coffee houses, art galleries, and three National Historic Districts. Mount Vernon was named one of America’s “10 Coolest Small Towns” by Budget Travel magazine in October of 2009. More information is available at www.visitmvl.com.