- This event has passed.
Hometown Teams – How Iowa Met Baseball: The Myths, The History, The Players
April 7, 2018 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 amFree
How Iowa Met Baseball: The Myths, The History, The Players is part of a series of Hometown Teams events. Smithsonian’s Museum on Main Street traveling exhibit “Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America” will be in Mount Vernon, Iowa from March 18 to April 29, 2018. It is one of 11 related events that is scheduled while the exhibit is in Mount Vernon.
Historian John Liepa will explore the myths regarding the “invention” of baseball, the origins and evolution of the early game in the United States; how the Civil War played a role in accelerating the spread of the game; the very first mention of the game’s coming to Iowa in 1858, and how it caught on. Guests will have the opportunity to view Liepa’s extensive collection of memorabilia and cards before and after the presentation.
RSVP on Facebook.
- This event is presented by the historian John Liepa.
- Attendance is free and open to the public.
Complete Schedule of Hometown Teams Events:
- Sat. March 24, 10:30-11:30 a.m. – More Than Just a Game: African American Athletes in Iowa
- Mon. March 26, 1-3 p.m. – Movie “The Final Season”
- Wed. April 4, 7-8:30 p.m. – From the Pressbox: An Eastern Iowa Sports Media Panel
- Sat. April 7, 10-11:30 a.m. – How Iowa Met Baseball: The Myths, The History, The Players
- Sat., April 7, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. – Coach Jim Van Scoyoc meet and greet
- Sat. April 14, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – “A Wrestling Life,” Talk and and Book Signing by Dan Gable
- Sat., April 14, 1-2:30 p.m. – Playing to Win: Kids and Sports
- Sat. April 21, 10-10:30 a.m. – Remembering 6-on-6 Gallery Talk
- Sat. April 21, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. – Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa
- Sun., April 22, Noon-4 p.m. – Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa
- Sun., April 22, 1-4 p.m. – The Return of Girls 6-on-6: Basketball Showcase