- This event has passed.
Magical Night 2016
December 1, 2016 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
Magical Night will be on Thursday, December 1, 2016.
RSVP on Facebook.
The event will include a lighting ceremony, thousands of luminarias, trolley and train rides along First Street, strolling carolers, pictures with Santa, a live nativity including a live camel, music and dance concerts, a Holiday Bazaar and open houses along Mount Vernon’s historic Main Street District.
New this year will be a children’s train that will run along First Street, as well as the returning Trolley Car that will be connecting all stores and events along First Street. Popular returning stops including the International and Multicultural Holiday Celebration at Cornell College’s Stoner House, sponsored by the Office of Intercultural Life, and the growing series of animatronic window displays on display in several area businesses titled “Animenagerie.” Also on display will be a live reindeer and Santa himself.
The Animenagerie, created by a volunteer committee of local artists and engineers, will be unveiling two new pieces as part of this year’s celebration. There are now eight total displays in seven different storefronts.
Originally created in 2011, the Snowflake Chandelier will return to Magical Night this year. Originally designed by professional lighting designer, and Mount Vernon resident Stan Crocker, with the help of dozens of school children and volunteers, the Snowflake Chandelier will be remounted for its 5-year anniversary.
At 6:15 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. St. Paul Lutheran Church will present the 23rd annual production of the Living Nativity, with music, actors, and live animals. The performance is at the Memorial Park Gazebo in Uptown Mount Vernon. Hot chocolate and cookies will be provided at the Visitors Center after each program. Children are encouraged to see the live animals after each performance, including a camel.
- Highwire Bear, in the front window of Palisades Café, 117 1st St. NW
- Bird in a Box, in the front window of Sauter, Baty & Bloomquist, 113 1st St. NW
- Reindeer Games, in the front window of Fuel, 103 1st St. NE
- Cat in a Tree, in the front window of Czech Feather & Down, 101 1st St. NW
- Santa’s Hen House, in the front window of Iron Leaf Press, 102 1st SW
- Jingles the Elf, in the front window of Big Creek Emporium, 100 1st St. SW
- Precarious Piggy, in the front window of Peter Ault’s building, 120 1st St. SW
Schedule of events on Magical Night, Thursday, December 1:
- 5pm Help Santa light up the First Street Community Center
- 5-8pm Business Open House, visit local businesses, enjoy live music, snacks and begin your
- 5-8pm Trolley and Train Rides-sponsored by Meridith Hoffman, Iowa Realty
- 5-8pm Luminaria Light Display
- 5-7pm Praise Team Outreach carolers stroll through town
- 5-8pm Decorate a dog bone ornament at Zoe’s Pet Deli
- 5-8pm Santa’s Helpers are handing out goodies at Mount Vernon Insurance
- 5:30-6:30pm Living window at Palisades Café, sponsored by Dance Arts Iowa
- 5-7pm Soup Supper, music by Heart Consort Music students, and a cookie walk at Mount Vernon
United Methodist Church
- 5:30-8pm Pictures with Santa, treats, window displays and MVHS Carolers @ Mount Vernon
Bank, sponsored by Mount Vernon Bank & Mount Vernon Investment Center
- 5-7pm Get your magic reindeer food and visit with live reindeer at CarePro Pharmacy, sponsored
by Hills Bank
- 5-8pm International Life presents Multicultural Holidays Celebration at Cornell College’s Stoner
House, sponsored by the Office of Intercultural Life, Cornell College
- 5-8pm Visit with the Lisbon Mount Vernon Ambulance Service at the old fire station.
- 5:30pm Mount Vernon Community School Jazz Band Performance at the old fire station.
- 6:15pm & 7pm Live Nativity at the Gazebo in Memorial Park, with hot chocolate and cookies at
the Visitor Center, sponsored by St Paul Lutheran Church.
- 5-8pm Cookie Decorating, sponsored by Mount Vernon Parks and Recreation (First Steet Community Center)
- 5-8pm Arts Fest, “Snowflake Chandelier” presented by Stan Crocker & Mount Vernon
Schools (First Steet Community Center)
- 6:30, 7 & 7:30pm “Holiday Tidings” from Dance Arts Iowa @ Uptown Theatre (First Steet Community Center)