- This event has passed.
Magical Night 2017
November 30, 2017 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
Magical Night will be on Thursday, November 30, 2017 in Uptown Mount Vernon, Iowa.
RSVP on Facebook.
The event will include a lighting ceremony, thousands of luminarias, trolley and train rides along First Street, strolling carolers, pictures with Santa, a live nativity including a live camel, music and dance concerts, a Holiday Bazaar and open houses along Mount Vernon’s historic Main Street District.
At 5 p.m. at the First Street Community Center, Santa will be throwing the switch unveiling Mount Vernon’s holiday lights. This will be followed by a wide range of events along Mount Vernon’s historic First Street that will include visits and photos with Santa in the Mount Vernon Bank & Trust building, a Holiday Craft Bazaar in the basement of City Hall, and live music and activities in almost every Uptown building.
The event will include the 24th annual production of the Living Nativity, provided by St. Paul Lutheran Church. This performance will include music, actors, and live animals. The performance is at the Memorial Park Gazebo in Uptown Mount Vernon. Hot chocolate and cookies will be provided at the Visitors Center after each program. Children are encouraged to see the live animals after each performance, including a camel.
Returning this year will be a performance by the Mount Vernon High School Jazz Band in the old fire station, 213 First St. NW. Popular returning stops including the International and Multicultural Holiday Celebration at Cornell College’s Stoner House, sponsored by the Office of Intercultural Life, and the growing series of animatronic window displays on display in several area businesses titled “Animenagerie.”
Two historic Trolley Cars sponsored by Meridith Hoffman, Iowa Realty, will be on site offering free rides up and down the street connecting festival-goers to all activities. And a trackless train will be running throughout the evening in the parking lot of Iowa Physical Therapy, 108 1st St. SE.
“Magical Night event is one of our most anticipated events of 2017,” says Matt Siders, Chair of the Hometown Holidays Committee. “With lights and reindeer, trolley cars, and Santa Claus himself, there is something for everyone this holiday season in Mount Vernon and Lisbon. The holiday season is a great time to discover the small-town magic of these two great communities.”
Schedule of Events:
- 5pm: Help Santa light up the First Street Community Center
- 5-7pm: Praise Team Outreach carolers stroll through town
- 5- 7 p.m. Soup Supper and a cookie walk at Mount Vernon United Methodist Church
- 5 – 8pm:
- Business Open House, visit local businesses, enjoy live music, snacks and begin your holiday shopping
- Trolley and Train Rides-sponsored by Meridith Hoffman, Iowa Realty
- Luminary Light Display
- Decorate a dog bone ornament at Zoe’s Pet Deli
- Santa’s Helpers are handing out goodies at Mount Vernon Insurance
- Get your magic reindeer food and visit with live reindeer at CarePro Pharmacy, sponsored by Hills Bank
- International Life presents Multicultural Holidays Celebration at Cornell College’s Stoner House, sponsored by the Office of Intercultural Life, Cornell College
- Visit with the Lisbon Mount Vernon Ambulance Service at the old fire station
- 5-8pm at the First Street Community Center (221 1st St. SE:
- Cookie Decorating, sponsored by Mount Vernon Parks and Recreation
- Arts Fest, “Holiday Shadow Play” presented by Stan Crocker & Mount Vernon Schools
- 5:30pm: Mount Vernon Community School Jazz Band Performance at the old fire station
- 5:30-6:30pm: Living Window at Palisades Café, sponsored by Dance Arts Iowa
- 5:30-8pm: Pictures with Santa, treats, window displays and MVHS Carolers @ Mount Vernon Bank, sponsored by Mount Vernon Bank & Mount Vernon Investment Center
- 6pm: Holiday Music by Heart Consort Music Students at MV Presbyterian Church – Reception to follow
- 6:15 pm & 7pm: Live Nativity at the Gazebo in Memorial Park, with hot chocolate and cookies at the Visitor Center, sponsored by St Paul Lutheran Church
- 6:30 & 7pm at the First Street Community Center (221 1st St. NE): “Holiday Tidings” from Dance Arts Iowa @ Uptown Theatre