- This event has passed.
Magical Night 2019
December 5 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
Magical Night will be on Thursday, December 5, 2019 in Uptown Mount Vernon, Iowa.
RSVP on Facebook.
The event will include a lighting ceremony, thousands of luminarias, pictures with Santa, a live nativity including a live camel, music and dance concerts, and a Holiday Bazaar, and open houses along Mount Vernon’s historic Main Street District.
At 5 p.m. at the First Street Community Center, Santa will be throwing the switch unveiling Mount Vernon’s holiday lights. This will be followed by a wide range of events along Mount Vernon’s historic First Street that will include visits and photos with Santa in the Mount Vernon Bank & Trust building, a Holiday Craft Bazaar in the basement of City Hall, a Vendor and Art Fair at Mount Vernon Creates, a Live Nativity at Memorial Park and live music and activities in almost every Uptown building.
The event will include the 26th annual production of the Living Nativity, provided by St. Paul Lutheran Church. This performance will include music, actors, and live animals. The performance is at the Memorial Park Gazebo in Uptown Mount Vernon at 6:15pm and 7:00pm. Hot chocolate and cookies will be provided at the Visitors Center after each program. Children are encouraged to see the live animals after each performance, including a camel.
First Street will be closed to traffic from A Avenue to Fourth Avenue West, staring in the afternoon. This will create a Holiday Inspired Ped Mall. Most activities will take place in the 5 block area from the First Street Community Center to the Memorial Park Gazebo.
A shuttle provided by Mount Vernon Community Schools will be going back and forth along 4th Avenue, taking guests from the parking lots at the Mount Vernon Community School District to the United Methodist Church and back. The shuttle will run continuously from 5 to 8 p.m.
Trolley rides sponsored by St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, will run from 5 to 8 p.m. connecting all activities along first street.
Returning this year will be the International and Multicultural Holiday Celebration at Cornell College’s Stoner House, sponsored by the Office of Intercultural Life, and the growing series of animatronic window displays in several area businesses. Also returning is a trackless train that will be running from the parking lot of Iowa Physical Therapy, 108 1st St. SE.
“Magical Night is one of our most anticipated events of 2019,” said Joe Jennison,
Director of the Mount Vernon-Lisbon Community Development Group (CDG). “With lights and live animals, trolley cars, and Santa Claus himself, there is something for everyone this holiday season in Mount Vernon and Lisbon. The holiday season is a great time to discover the small-town magic of these two great communities.”
Schedule of Events
- 4p.m.-8pm: Magical Night Vendor and Art Fair at Mount Vernon Creates
- 5pm: Help Santa light up the First Street Community Center
- 5-7 p.m. Soup Supper and a cookie walk at Mount Vernon United Methodist Church
- 5 – 8pm:
- Business Open House, visit local businesses, enjoy live music, snacks and begin your holiday shopping
- Tractor Trolley rides sponsored by St. Paul and P&K Midwest
- Train Rides-sponsored by Meridith Hoffman, Iowa Realty
- Luminary Light Display
- Photo opportunity with The Ice Queen from the movie “Frozen”
- Decorate a dog bone ornament at Zoe’s Pet Deli
- International Life presents Multicultural Holidays Celebration at Cornell College’s Stoner House, sponsored by the Office of Intercultural Life, Cornell College
- Visit with the Lisbon Mount Vernon Ambulance Service at the old fire station
- Card-making workshop at Whimsy and Wonder (Dec. 7th from 10am-5pm as well)
- 5-8pm at the First Street Community Center (221 1st St. SE):
- Cookie Decorating, sponsored by Mount Vernon Parks and Recreation
- Art Installation presented by Mount Vernon elementary and high school art students at the First Street Community Center gym
- 5:30-6:30pm: Living Window at Palisades Café, sponsored by Dance Arts Iowa
- 5:30-7:30pm: Praise Team Outreach Carolers stroll through town
- 5:30-8pm: Pictures with Santa, treats, window displays and MVHS Carolers @ Mount Vernon Bank, sponsored by Mount Vernon Bank
- 6pm: Holiday Music by Heart Consort Music Students at MV Presbyterian Church – Reception to follow
- 6:15 pm & 7pm: Live Nativity at the Gazebo in Memorial Park, with hot chocolate and cookies at the Visitor Center, sponsored by St Paul Lutheran Church
- 6:15 & 7 pm at the First Street Community Center (221 1st St. NE): “Nutcracker Holiday Preview” from Dance Arts Iowa @ Uptown Theatre
About the Mount Vernon-Lisbon Community Development Group
The Mount Vernon-Lisbon Community Development Group exists to improve the social and economic well-being of Mount Vernon and Lisbon by capitalizing on their unique identity, assets and character. Mount Vernon was selected as a Main Street community in 2008, and practices economic development within the context of historic preservation.
Mount Vernon was named one of America’s “10 Coolest Small Towns” by Budget Travel magazine in October of 2009. More information is available at www.visitmvl.com
About Main Street
The Main Street Approach is a copyrighted process of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The Program has been used in Iowa since 1986 with a total of 56 communities having participated. Mount Vernon was selected as a Main Street community on March 4, 2008 by the State of Iowa, after submitting a comprehensive application and presenting to a select board of reviewers.