- This event has passed.
Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Week
January 16 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
One event on January 15, 2018 at 11:00am
One event on January 15, 2018 at 5:00pm
One event on January 16, 2018 at 11:00am
One event on January 17, 2018 at 6:00pm
One event on January 18, 2018 at 6:30pm
The Cornell College Office of Intercultural Life is hosting a number of events in memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The following events are open to the Mount Vernon and Lisbon community members.
Monday, Jan. 15:
- Day of Service: Join Intercultural Life (ICL) and Civic Engagement in making items to donate to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. The event will be on the Orange Carpet in the Thomas Commons from 9 a.m.—5 p.m. It’s free and open to the public.
- MLK Vigil: Join the Spiritual Life Office for a brief candle-lighting program and recollection about people, past and present, who embodied the ideals of the Rev. Dr. King. The event aims to inspire participants to become their better selves. The vigil begins in Thomas Commons at 5 p.m. and culminates in Allee Chapel. It’s free and open to the public.
Tuesday, Jan. 16:
- Marathon Reading: The community will hold a marathon reading of Dr. King’s address to Cornell College during his visit in 1962. This will take place on the Orange Carpet in the Thomas Commons from 11 a.m.—1 p.m. It’s free and open to the public.
Wednesday, Jan. 17:
- Movie Viewing: Anyone is welcome to watch a movie about the 1967 Detroit Riots, which will be held in the Thomas Common’s Hall-Perrine room from 6—9 p.m. A reflection and discussion will follow the movie. It’s free and open to the public.
Thursday, Jan. 18:
- ICL Radio Tribute to Dr. King: Join the Social Justice Initiative in their version of Ted Talks as two members of the Cornell College and surrounding community discuss what social justice means to them. This will takes place in Zamora’s Lounge from 6:30—7:30 p.m. It’s free and open to the public.