- This event has passed.
Virtual Science Cafe
September 15, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
There virtual Science Cafes have been scheduled. While we wish that the programs could be in person, it is not safe to do so at this point. Since the events will be virtual, it is a great opportunity to combine our two Science Cafe communities and allow for even more participation (friends and family in other parts of Iowa)!
Please RSVP to the event via the link, and then you will receive the zoom information before the cafe event begins.
The Science Cafe dates and times are:
- Tuesday September 15, 2020 at 7 pm – RSVP online
- Dr. Charlie Stanier: “Viruses in air: COVID-19 transmission as a case study”
- Professor Stanier, an aerosol scientist in the Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering at the University of Iowa, will discuss how virus-laden particles and droplets behave in air. These tiny particles of respiratory fluid, which can contain the virus that causes COVID-19, are a key reason behind our calls for physical distancing, good ventilation, masks, and face shields.
- Thursday October 15, 2020 at 5 pm – RSVP online
- Stratis Giannakouros: “Rethinking Sustainability: Meaningful Steps Towards an Equitable Future”
- The planetary shift towards a sustainable future requires us to focus on the role our systems and institutions play in either limiting or expanding the success of our individual actions. This conversation proposes a different way of thinking about the strategies and solutions we should consider to achieve an equitable, bright future for current and future generations.
- Tuesday November 17, 2020 at 7 pm – TBA