Heritage Days Festival 2021
July 9 @ 4:00 pm - 10:30 pm
One event on July 10, 2021 at 8:00 am
The 33rd Annual Heritage Days Festival, Mount Vernon’s biggest summer festival, will take place Friday, July 9 and Saturday, July 10, in and around Uptown Mount Vernon.
The event will be produced by the Mount Vernon-Lisbon Community Development Group (CDG) in partnership with the Mount Vernon Alumni Association, the City of Mount Vernon, Kernoustie Golf Club and several other local organizations.
Changes proposed to the festival include moving it from a three-day event to a two-day event, meaning the Kernoustie events that would have historically taken place on Thursday night, will now take place on Friday night, July 9. It also has been proposed that the carnival no longer be a part of the event.
“CDG’s mission is two-fold: to promote and develop the business environment of Mount Vernon and Lisbon, and to enhance the quality of life in the communities we serve,” said Joe Jennison, Director of Main Street and Marketing for the CDG. “We remain a volunteer organization focused on helping where needed in this community. We were happy to step up and step in, and are confident that we can create a successful event.”
A food vendor application is available online.
Friday Schedule – Kernoustie Golf Club
- Daytime – Mount Vernon High School Alumni Golf Special
- 4:00-9:00pm – Alumni Reception
- TBD – Kids Fun Run
- TBD – Inflatables, rock wall, trackless train, and hot air balloon glow and launch
- 8:00-9:30pm – Bands perform, with bagpipers starting at 8:45pm
- Dusk – Fireworks
Saturday Schedule – Uptown Mount Vernon
- TBD – Mount Vernon 5K Run/Walk, 10K Run, and Kids Mile (starting at Mount Vernon High School)
- 8:00-10:00am – Alumni and Community Breakfast (at Mount Vernon High School)
- 11:00am – Heritage Days Parade
- TBD – Car show, carnival games, Lisbon Lions Club BINGO, and Kids’ Tractor Pull
- TBD – 3 Pearson Best Shot Golf Tournament at Kernoustie Golf Club
- TBD – Theme and movie night at Mount Vernon Swimming Pool
- Noon-Midnight – Performances on the Main Street Stage
- MVLCT and youth theatre presentations
- Dance Arts Iowa showcase
- The Mount Vernon Wrestling Team bean bag toss fundraiser
- DJ Music
- 9:00pm-Midnight: Headlining band and street dance
About Mount Vernon
Historic Mount Vernon, Iowa, is the home to 4500 residents, including 1200 college students enrolled at Cornell College. Located in Eastern Iowa at the intersection of Highways 30 and 1, 20 miles north of Iowa City and 15 miles east of Cedar Rapids, it boasts a vibrant uptown business community with numerous antique and specialty stores, restaurants, coffee houses, art galleries, and three National Historic Districts.
About the Mount Vernon-Lisbon Community Development Group
The Mount Vernon-Lisbon Community Development Group exists to improve the social and economic well-being of Mount Vernon and Lisbon by capitalizing on their unique identity, assets and character. Mount Vernon was selected as a Main Street community in 2008, and practices economic development within the context of historic preservation.
About Main Street
The Main Street Approach is a copyrighted process of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The Program has been used in Iowa since 1986 with a total of 56 communities having participated. Mount Vernon was selected as a Main Street community on March 4, 2008 by the State of Iowa, after submitting a comprehensive application and presenting to a select board of reviewers.