- This event has passed.
Virtual Science Cafe
November 12 @ 8:45 am - 11:50 am
One event on October 26, 2021 at 8:45 am
One event on November 12, 2021 at 8:45 am
One event on November 30, 2021 at 8:45 am
The virtual Science Cafes will continue in 2021. Since the events will be virtual, it is a great opportunity to combine our two Science Cafe communities and allow for even more participation (friends and family in other parts of Iowa)!
Please RSVP to the event using the link provided, and then you will receive the zoom information before the cafe event begins.
The Science Cafe dates and times are:
- Tuesday March 9, 2021 at 5 pm – RSVP online
- Dr. George Weiner: “Advances in cancer immunotherapy”
- Dr. Weiner holds these titles: Director, Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, Professor of Internal Medicine, Professor of Pharmaceutical Science Experimental Therapeutics
- Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 7 pm – RSVP online
- Dr. Aliasger Salem: “Scaffolds for bone regeneration”
- Dr. Salem holds these titles: Bighley Chair of Pharmaceutical Sciences; Professor of Pharmaceutics; Co-Leader, Experimental Therapeutics Program, Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 5 pm – RSVP online
- Dr. Josalyn Cho: “On the Frontlines: Environmental Influences on Lung Immunity and Health”
- Dr. Cho is an Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine- Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Occupational Medicine.
- Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 7 pm – RSVP online
- Dr. Peter Thorne: “Climageddon: Dire Predictions from the IPCC”
- Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 7 pm – RSVP online
- Dr. Ezaz Haque: “Heavy metal contamination and environmental health concerns in the neighborhood of East Chicago, Indiana”
- Friday, November 12, 2021 at 10:45 am – RSVP online
- The topic is “Approaches for stakeholder communication and engagement to improve environmental health.”
- Panelists: Erin Schoenberg from the Center for Rural Affairs, Anne Weir Schechinger from the Environmental Working Group, and Angela Tin from the American Lung Association of the Upper Midwest
- Tuesday, November 30, 2021 at 7 pm – RSVP online
- Kelly Baker, PhD: “Love in the time of water insecurity – protecting children from waterborne diseases for the urban poor in low income countries”