Heritage Days Festival 2016
The 29th Annual Heritage Days Festival, Mount Vernon’s biggest summer festival, will take place Thursday, Friday and Saturday, July 7, 8 and 9, in and around Uptown Mount Vernon.
This is Mount Vernon’s three-day community festival. Live music, parade, kids’ entertainment and food are just a few of the activities planned for this event. Be sure not to miss the fireworks on Thursday night!
With a parade theme of “Old School Superheroes,” this year’s festivities will include fireworks, old-fashioned carnival games, as well as live performances, bingo, a beer tent and a “mini-Olympics for kids.”
New this year will be a series of Old-Time Carnival games set up on 1st Street, each managed by a different community group that offer family fun at an affordable price. Community partner groups include First Presbyterian Church of Mount Vernon, the Rehabilitation Center of Lisbon, Mount Vernon Archery Club, Mount Vernon High School Cheerleaders, Mount Vernon High School Band and the Mount Vernon-Lisbon Rotary Club.
“We are excited to honor Old School Superheroes for Heritage Days this year,” says Wade Squiers, Chair of the Heritage Days Committee. “We have collaborated with a number of community partners to create a series of Old-Time Carnival games so as to ensure a good time at a reasonable price for kids of all ages. We invite everyone in the area to find their inner Old School Superhero at Mount Vernon Heritage Days.”
Schedule of Events:
Thursday, July 7
All events on Thursday are at Kernoustie Golf Club:
- 6:00 PM: Annual Rotary Kids Mini Olympics (Registration 5:15 PM – 6:00 PM)
- 5:00 PM – 9:15 PM: Activities and Family Night, including food, drink, music, and children’s entertainment
- 5:00 PM: Gates Open
- 5:30 PM – 9:15 PM: Kids Inflatables & Train Rides (13 foot castle, Jungle bus, The jumping bean, Train ride) $10 per child or $5 for train only
- 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM: Jonny Krob and the Playboys “The Singing Cowboy” Perform
- 7:30 PM: Skydive of Iowa brings in the flag
- 8:45 PM: Bagpipes
- Dark: Fireworks Display by Heritage Days (Bring your lawn chair)
Friday, July 8
Enjoy food vendors, music, and entertainment in Uptown Mount Vernon on Friday.
- 8:00 AM: 3-person Best shot, Kernoustie Golf Club
- 1:00 PM: 3-person Best shot, Kernoustie Golf Club
- Noon – Midnight: Food Vendors, First Street West
Street vendors with both local and regional favorites.
- 4:00 PM – Midnight: Beverage Tent
- 4:00 PM – 9:00 PM: Alumni Reception, Now located in the old Fire Station on Main street next to City Hall. Hang out with your classmates uptown and meet fellow alums from many classes. Friends, family, and Community welcome.
- 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM: Community Band: In front of main stage
- 5:45 PM – 6:30 PM: Kids Fun Run Registration
- 6:30 PM – 7:00 PM: Kids Fun Run, Cornell Football Field; several classes of races for kids 10 & under ($5 entry fee goes toward kids t-shirt, goodie bag, drink, and snack)
- 6:00 PM – Midnight: Main Street Stage, First Street West
- 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM: DJ music
- 9:00 PM – Midnight: Swingin’ Doors
- 7:00 PM: Mt. Vernon/Lisbon Young Adult Theatre Company presents “Guys and Dolls” at the Mt. Vernon Community School District Auditorium
- 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM: Pool Theme Night (Old School Super Heroes)
Saturday, July 9
Event highlights on Saturday include a parade, food vendors, music, entertainment, and games in Uptown Mount Vernon.
- 8:00 AM: 5K Run/Walk, 10K Run and Kids Mile Mount Vernon High School
Starting at 8AM at MV High School (Palisades Road) and winding through scenic Mt. Vernon. Register in advance at visitmvl.com or on site from 6:30AM – 7:30AM.
- 8:00 AM – 10:00AM: Alumni and Community Breakfast
Serving from 8-10am in the High School Commons. All alumni, families, friends,
and community welcome. Cost : donation at the door.
- 11:00 AM: Heritage Days Parade, First Street West – The theme of the 2016 parade is Old School Super Heros. The parade starts on First Street West, winds down 5th Avenue North and ends at 7th Street. Line up begins at 10:00 am
- 11:30 AM – 9:00 PM: Alumni Reception Old Fire Station on Main Street. Hang out with your classmates uptown and meet fellow alums from many classes. Friends, family, and Community welcome. Music Intermission with Alumni movie/slideshow
- Noon – Midnight: Food Vendors, First Street West – Different street vendors with both local and regional favorites
- Noon – Midnight: Beverage Tent, First Street West
- Noon – Midnight: Main Street Stage, First Street West
- 12:30 PM – 1:00 PM: Mt. Vernon/Lisbon Young Adults Theater/ Mt. Vernon/Lisbon Community Theatre
- 1:00 PM – 1:30 PM: Dance Arts Iowa
- 1:30 PM – 2:00 PM: PTO (Praise Team Outreach)
- 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM: MV Wrestling Team – bean bag toss tournament fund raiser
- 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM: Community Talent Show
- 8:30 PM – 9:00 PM: DJ music
- 9:00 PM – Midnight: Rattlebox
- Noon – 1:00 PM: Reading of the Constitution By the American Legion at the Gazeebo in Memorial Park
- Noon – 8:00 PM: Carnival games, Main street in front of the old fire station
- 2:00 PM – 4:00PM: Open Gym at the High School For any alums or friends that would enjoy a pick up game or shooting some baskets.
- 7:00 PM: Mt. Vernon/Lisbon Young Adult Theatre Company, “Guys and Dolls” Mt. Vernon Community School District Auditorium
- 9:00 PM – 11:00PM: Movie Night @ the Mt. Vernon Pool
About Mount Vernon
Historic Mount Vernon, Iowa, is the home to 4500 residents, including 1200 college students enrolled at Cornell College. Located in Eastern Iowa at the intersection of Highways 30 and 1, 20 miles north of Iowa City and 15 miles east of Cedar Rapids, it boasts a vibrant uptown business community with numerous antique and specialty stores, restaurants, coffee houses, art galleries, and three National Historic Districts. Mount Vernon was named one of America’s “10 Coolest Small Towns” by Budget Travel magazine in October of 2009. More information is available at visitmvl.com