Hometown Teams – “A Wrestling Life” Talk and and Book Signing by Dan Gable
This “A Wrestling Life,” Talk and and Book Signing by Dan Gable is part of a series of Hometown Teams events. Smithsonian’s Museum on Main Street traveling exhibit “Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America” will be in Mount Vernon, Iowa from March 18 to April 29, 2018. It is one of 11 related events that is scheduled while the exhibit is in Mount Vernon.
Wrestling legend Dan Gable will talk about the sport and his life, followed by a book-signing. His latest book, “A Wrestling Life: The Inspiring Stories of Dan Gable,” will be available for purchase. Gable is a retired Olympic wrestler and coach best known for his tenure as head coach at the University of Iowa where he won 15 NCAA team titles between 1976-1997.
“The essential qualities of wrestling—sweat, dedication, and the determination to win–embody the American spirit,” Gable says. “One kid that can wrestle can make a town famous. Teams inspire and galvanize a hometown.”
RSVP on Facebook.
- Attendance is free and open to the public.
Complete Schedule of Hometown Teams Events:
- Sat. March 24, 10:30-11:30 a.m. – More Than Just a Game: African American Athletes in Iowa
- Mon. March 26, 1-3 p.m. – Movie “The Final Season”
- Wed. April 4, 7-8:30 p.m. – From the Pressbox: An Eastern Iowa Sports Media Panel
- Sat. April 7, 10-11:30 a.m. – How Iowa Met Baseball: The Myths, The History, The Players
- Sat., April 7, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. – Coach Jim Van Scoyoc meet and greet
- Sat. April 14, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – “A Wrestling Life,” Talk and and Book Signing by Dan Gable
- Sat., April 14, 1-2:30 p.m. – Playing to Win: Kids and Sports
- Sat. April 21, 10-10:30 a.m. – Remembering 6-on-6 Gallery Talk
- Sat. April 21, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. – Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa
- Sun., April 22, Noon-4 p.m. – Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa
- Sun., April 22, 1-4 p.m. – The Return of Girls 6-on-6: Basketball Showcase