Hometown Teams – Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa
Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa is part of a series of Hometown Teams events. Smithsonian’s Museum on Main Street traveling exhibit “Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America” will be in Mount Vernon, Iowa from March 18 to April 29, 2018. It is one of 11 related events that is scheduled while the exhibit is in Mount Vernon.
Established in 1992, the Louise Noun – Mary Louise Smith Iowa Women’s Archives collects and makes available historical materials that tell the stories of Iowa women from all walks of life. In an effort to broaden its sport-related collections representatives from the Archives and Sport Studies faculty from the University of Iowa Department of American Studies are organizing a collection weekend. Please stop by to tell us your stories, ask questions about donating historical materials, or to donate documents, photographs, or other items related to 6-on-6 basketball or other sporting experiences.
RSVP on Facebook.
- This event is sponsored by the University of Iowa Women’s Archives, University of Iowa Library.
- Attendance is free and open to the public.
Complete Schedule of Hometown Teams Events:
- Sat. March 24, 10:30-11:30 a.m. – More Than Just a Game: African American Athletes in Iowa
- Mon. March 26, 1-3 p.m. – Movie “The Final Season”
- Wed. April 4, 7-8:30 p.m. – From the Pressbox: An Eastern Iowa Sports Media Panel
- Sat. April 7, 10-11:30 a.m. – How Iowa Met Baseball: The Myths, The History, The Players
- Sat., April 7, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. – Coach Jim Van Scoyoc meet and greet
- Sat. April 14, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – “A Wrestling Life,” Talk and and Book Signing by Dan Gable
- Sat., April 14, 1-2:30 p.m. – Playing to Win: Kids and Sports
- Sat. April 21, 10-10:30 a.m. – Remembering 6-on-6 Gallery Talk
- Sat. April 21, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. – Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa
- Sun., April 22, Noon-4 p.m. – Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa
- Sun., April 22, 1-4 p.m. – The Return of Girls 6-on-6: Basketball Showcase