Hometown Teams – Playing to Win: Kids and Sports
Playing to Win: Kids and Sports is part of a series of Hometown Teams events. Smithsonian’s Museum on Main Street traveling exhibit “Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America” will be in Mount Vernon, Iowa from March 18 to April 29, 2018. It is one of 11 related events that is scheduled while the exhibit is in Mount Vernon.
Cornell College professors of Kinesiology Steve DeVries and Kristin Meyer will discuss origins and social factors that have influenced the growth of youth sports in the USA, how we have gotten to where we are now, and some current trends and issues.
RSVP on Facebook.
- Attendance is free and open to the public.
Complete Schedule of Hometown Teams Events:
- Sat. March 24, 10:30-11:30 a.m. – More Than Just a Game: African American Athletes in Iowa
- Mon. March 26, 1-3 p.m. – Movie “The Final Season”
- Wed. April 4, 7-8:30 p.m. – From the Pressbox: An Eastern Iowa Sports Media Panel
- Sat. April 7, 10-11:30 a.m. – How Iowa Met Baseball: The Myths, The History, The Players
- Sat., April 7, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. – Coach Jim Van Scoyoc meet and greet
- Sat. April 14, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – “A Wrestling Life,” Talk and and Book Signing by Dan Gable
- Sat., April 14, 1-2:30 p.m. – Playing to Win: Kids and Sports
- Sat. April 21, 10-10:30 a.m. – Remembering 6-on-6 Gallery Talk
- Sat. April 21, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. – Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa
- Sun., April 22, Noon-4 p.m. – Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa
- Sun., April 22, 1-4 p.m. – The Return of Girls 6-on-6: Basketball Showcase