Hometown Teams – Remembering 6-on-6 Gallery Talk
The Remembering 6-on-6 Gallery Talk is part of a series of Hometown Teams events. Smithsonian’s Museum on Main Street traveling exhibit “Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America” will be in Mount Vernon, Iowa from March 18 to April 29, 2018. It is one of 11 related events that is scheduled while the exhibit is in Mount Vernon.
The year 2018 marks the 25th anniversary of the end of 6-on-6 girls’ basketball in Iowa. To commemorate and reflect on this uniquely Iowan sport, the Iowa Women’s Archives and Sport Studies faculty in the Department of American Studies at the University of Iowa have collaborated to create a touring exhibition that tells the story of 6-on-6 basketball in Iowa and the girls and women that played it. The Gallery Talk will provide an opportunity to hear about the exhibition from one of its curators and to learn more about the artifacts it features.
RSVP on Facebook.
- This event is presented by the University of Iowa Women’s Archives, University of Iowa Library.
- Attendance is free and open to the public.
Complete Schedule of Hometown Teams Events:
- Sat. March 24, 10:30-11:30 a.m. – More Than Just a Game: African American Athletes in Iowa
- Mon. March 26, 1-3 p.m. – Movie “The Final Season”
- Wed. April 4, 7-8:30 p.m. – From the Pressbox: An Eastern Iowa Sports Media Panel
- Sat. April 7, 10-11:30 a.m. – How Iowa Met Baseball: The Myths, The History, The Players
- Sat., April 7, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. – Coach Jim Van Scoyoc meet and greet
- Sat. April 14, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – “A Wrestling Life,” Talk and and Book Signing by Dan Gable
- Sat., April 14, 1-2:30 p.m. – Playing to Win: Kids and Sports
- Sat. April 21, 10-10:30 a.m. – Remembering 6-on-6 Gallery Talk
- Sat. April 21, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. – Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa
- Sun., April 22, Noon-4 p.m. – Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa
- Sun., April 22, 1-4 p.m. – The Return of Girls 6-on-6: Basketball Showcase