Smithsonian Exhibit Fundraiser
The Smithsonian Exhibit Fundraiser will increase awareness for a local Museum on Main Street exhibit coming to Mount Vernon in 2018. This event will also raise money to support the “Hometown Teams: How Sports Shaped America” exhibit. As a result of being selected to host this exhibit, the Mount Vernon-Lisbon Community Development Group (CDG), One Mission Fundraising, and the Mount Vernon First Street Community Center are working together to plan this fundraiser.
RSVP for the Smithsonian Exhibit Fundraiser on Facebook.
The Museum on Main Street program selected Mount Vernon to host the Smithsonian’s “Home Town Teams: How Sports Shaped America.” This exhibit will be in Mount Vernon from March 16, 2018 to April 30, 2018. Mount Vernon is the first of six communities in Iowa hosting this exhibit.
The Smithsonian Exhibit Fundraiser includes a wine and cheese reception and silent auction. Another part of the fundraising event is a live performance by The A-Go-Go Fundraising Team. The A-Go-Go Fundraising Team was also behind the Frank Benesh Memorial Telethon and the Uptown Theater Honors programs. The fundraiser will also feature an online fundraising campaign.
- $20 ticket includes any or all of the events on April 7
- Tickets are available for purchase at Hills Bank (in Mount Vernon or Lisbon), Mount Vernon Bank & Trust, the Visitor’s Center, Bauman’s, and the First Street Community Center.
- Support bringing the Smithsonian Exhibit to Mount Vernon through the online fundraising campaign.
- 6-8PM – A social is planned with wine, tea, lemonade, and appetizers at One Mission Fundraising. Mount Vernon and Lisbon sports memorabilia will also be displayed to set the stage for the 2018 exhibit. Next spring items from corridor schools and colleges will be displayed along with the Smithsonian artifacts.
- 6-8PM – Check out custom-made One Mission artwork created just for us along with their other great products. Anything you buy gives back to the community!
- 7-8PM – The A Go-Go’s will be performing a sports-themed variety show across the street in the Uptown Theatre at the First Street Community Center.
- 6-9PM – A Silent Auction will take place in the lobby area of the Uptown Theater.
Please help make this event and the exhibit a success. Your support is appreciated!
Sports are everywhere in America. People across the country either compete in sports or cheer for their favorite teams. “Hometown Teams: How Sports Shaped America” is relevant because it captures stories from neighborhood fields and courts. It also includes tales of underdog heroics, larger-than-life legends, fierce rivalries, and gut-wrenching defeats. Sports are a reflection of the challenges and triumphs of the American experience. In addition, they have helped shape the national character for over 100 years.
Variety Show Program:
1. “Chariots of Fire” – Cast ensemble
2. National Anthem – something special
3. Fred Burke leading exercises to the physical education favorite “Chicken Fat”
4. “You Gotta Have Heart” from Damn Yankees featuring Joe Jennison and a team of local ball players – kids around town
5. Highlights of Mount Vernon High School and Cornell College volleyball history with Truman Jordan
6. “Put Me in Coach” – performed by Mike Moran and Josh Woosley
7. “Get Your Head in the Game” – performed by Kim Benesh, Megan Pospisil, Braden Rood, Devon Olberding and Andi Spencer
8. “Casey on the Run” – presented by Amy White
9. “Hey Mickey” – Courtenay Baker and young cheerleaders firing up the crowd
10. Darin Williams – Highlights of Lisbon wrestling
11. “I’m Alright” – performed by Mike Moran and Kennedy High School students
12. Finale— “Kid Inside” from High School Musical performed by cast
Silent Auction Items Include:
- Junior golf membership to Kernoustie Golf Club
- Odyssey Theater summer scholarship
- Odyssey Theater tickets
- A yoga basket including a yoga mat, yoga block, t-shirt and one free session from Transformation Yoga
- Handmade jewelry sets
- Cornell College wrestling T-shirt, cross country T-shirt, baseball cap, 2 volleyballs, and 2 conference champs T-shirts
- Pink fabric handmade handbag
- Male cowboy fabric full apron
- Bag of gift bags and bows
- 2 months of Compost Ninja
- Upholstered chair and ottoman
- Cooler full of food and drinks & a $20 gift card form Gary’s included
- $50 gift card from Dwell Home Furnishings
- “Bullet” blender for drinks
- Outdoor chime for porch or deck
- Collection of wall mirrors
- And more!