CDG is once again hiring a summer intern. Ideal candidate will already be living in the MV-L area, preferably a college student in town for the summer.
Main responsibilities will be helping to manage festivals, events and activities on Main Street.
If this sounds like someone you know, please forward this on.
Mount Vernon-Lisbon Community Development Group
Event Planning Assistant
- Assist Executive Director with the development, planning, execution and documentation of the Mount Vernon Main Street program and all summer activities in the broader Mount Vernon and Lisbon communities.
- Support Executive Director in coordinating all summer events.
- Represent CDG and the cities of Mount Vernon and Lisbon with professionalism and integrity to both local stakeholders, vendors and visitors.
- Working with the Executive Director, fully learn, understand and execute the Main Street approach to downtown revitalization using available resources and networks.
- Working with the Executive Director, build relationships and partnerships with community stakeholders (i.e. business and property owners, elected officials, Cornell College, and community groups and residents).
Duties (may include some or all of the following…)
- Assist the Executive Director and selected CDG committees in planning, organizing and executing of 10+ summer festivals and events.
- Research and apply for grants for project activities and assist with fundraising as appropriate.
- Coordinate activities for all committees in conjunction with the chair of each committee.
- Assist committees with development and implementation of work plans.
- Coordinate advertising and media relations in support of the Executive Director and committees.
- Initiate regular face-to-face contact with business owners and key stakeholders.
- Assist in the coordination of joint promotions and events.
- Educate and inform citizens on the volunteer opportunities available within Mount Vernon and Lisbon.
Summer Projects (may include some or all of the following…)
Job will be flexible, approximately 20 hours a week. Most of that time will be spent working with Director and volunteer committees on planning and organizing several projects over the summer. However, the following dates will be required as part of the internship agreement. Special circumstances will be considered with proper notice.
- Saturday and Sunday, May 7 and 8 – work with Executive Director, to:
Assist 8-person Chalk the Walk committee day of event
Close down streets, set up chalk squares
Put out signage
Assign and train volunteers
Help set up tents, tables
Work with food vendors
Manage recycling, compost and trash stations
Answer general questions from visitors about the town and the event
Clean up any discarded trash, cigarette butts, etc.
Assist in putting away tents/tables/signage etc. at the end of the day
- Saturday, June 4, work with Executive Director to:
Plan and execute annual Chocolate Stroll
Manage and train volunteers
Hand out maps
Coordinate music performances
Set up and tear down tents, tables, signage before and after the event
- Saturday, June 11, work with Executive Director, to:
Work with visitors, hand out maps, answer questions about the Citywide Garage Sale event
- Sunday, June 26, work with Executive Director, to:
Greet residents at the Cedar Rapids Kernels Stadium for Mount Vernon-Lisbon Day at the Ballpark, hand out tickets, answer questions
- Sunday and Monday, July 3 and 4, work with Executive Director, to:
Set up for Nitty Gritty Antique Show, may include helping to close down
streets, greet vendors and patrons
Set up signage
Work at least part of the day(s) at the Information Booth informing visitors
of food, shopping options
Clean up during the event including compost, recycling and trash
Work with baseball and football team to assist vendors and volunteers
Clean up City Hall bathrooms and other open, public areas
Tear down and put away all materials at the end of the event
- Friday and Saturday, July 8-9, work with Executive Director to:
Close down Main Street with the help of 14-member committee
Assist food and game vendors with set up
Assist with coordination of beer tent, music tent, bags tournament
Assist volunteers with compost, recycling and trash pickup
Help with tear down and clean up Friday and Saturday evenings
- Tuesday, August 16, work with Executive Director, to:
Set up, prepare for and facilitate Annual Volunteer Recognition Ceremony:
Working with committee to facilitate event
Attending meetings with Director
Helping with food speakers and general flow of the evening
Assist with tear down and put away
- For two weeks at the end of August, work in place of Executive Director, to:
Manage all aspects of the CDG while director is on vacation, which may
Working with businesses
Attending meetings in place of Director
Receiving visitors at the Visitor Center, answering questions, offering tours
Note: Additional projects and duties may come up as scheduled and assigned.
- Self-motivated, organized and capable of functioning in an independent
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) required.
- Web design and/or photo editing and graphics experience desirable.
- Reference letters and samples of previous writing/projects/accomplishments
- Ideal candidate will be working on an undergraduate degree and/or related
experience in one or more of the following: event planning, volunteer
and/or non-profit management, budgeting, community organizing, grant
writing, marketing, design, historic preservation, public relations, small
business development, tourism, hospitality and/or event management.
- Reports to the Executive Director
- Part-time position, approximately 20 hours/week, May to August. (Will move
start/end date to accommodate school schedule for the right candidate).
- Flexible hours, including occasional non-standard hours required (i.e. nights,
- Willing to work with/train the right candidate on all aspects of downtown
revitalization, Main Street processes, event planning and execution,
media planning, marketing and promotion
- Hourly pay based on experience and interest ($15 to $20/hour).
Those interested in applying for this position should contact:
Joe Jennison, Executive Director
Mount Vernon-Lisbon Community Development Group (CDG)
P.O. Box 31
Mount Vernon, Iowa 52314
(319) 210-9935, cell